This is just one of the paintings that will be on show at The Elms on Heritage
Open Day on Sunday 15 September later this year.
This watercolour is by Lionel Fawkes who lived in The Elms, Bedhampton for twenty years from 1900 and is just one of a collection of paintings being gathered together by The Bedhampton Historical Collection for this special open day. Some of the paintings are from their own collection, but others are being loaned especially for the one day event. The Bedhampton Historical Collection will release more details later in the summer.
This Lionel Fawkes painting is dated 1910. In foreground is Prospect Cottage that was once the home of Fred T Jane - the author of Jane's Fighting Ships. The cottage was formerly The Cat and Fiddle public house. The track alongside led to the chalk pit quarry that is now the new housing development off Portsdown Hill Road into Nelson Road.
In the middle distance is the ancient hedge line of Lower Road and Narrow Marsh Lane leading over the brick footbridge to the Store House on Storehouse Lake.
The shoreline of Langstone Harbour appears much closer than today as now reclaimed land takes the busy A27. It is such a shame that Havant Borough Council and the developers Bargate Homes have little interest in preserving the last contextual elements of this historic landscape that is now part of the Havant Local Plan 2036.
In the middle distance is the ancient hedge line of Lower Road and Narrow Marsh Lane leading over the brick footbridge to the Chalk Quay.